“Hajime ni” © 2017 Robert Redus
“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”
In the movie, Full Metal Jacket, when private Pyle has finally lost the last drop of sanity and is confronted by private Joker in the head. the end result is expected, and not a surprise. Private joker says to private Pyle, “If Hartman comes in here and catches us, we will both be in a world of shit.”, Private Pyle replies, “I am in a world of shit”….then Pyle’s greatest moment is not far away…nevertheless,…a seemingly cohesive collective is seconds from taking on enough water to capsize the entire vessel….
I really used to believe that the power of a collective was an unstoppable power that when directed and adjusted could accomplish incredible things…yet now…I don’t believe that so much, why? you ask…well because every collective has at least one private Pyle, 1 person who is in a world of shit, for what ever reason creating a compromise in the integrity of the collective…I mean think about, we all are in a world of shit…who knows, could be a few days a month…once a quarter…maybe twice a year…
The word collective means: “a cooperative enterprise”. Herds,( my favorite is a quiver of cobras)… flocks, packs, gangs, parties, anything with people sharing a common idea/goal is considered a collective, creating something called, “Collectivism” which is defined as:
“Collectivism is the moral stance, political philosophy, ideology, or social outlook that emphasizes the group and its interests. Collectivism is the opposite of individualism.
or better put…”the practice or principle of giving a group priority over each individual in it.”…
And that to me is where the notion of the collective fails completely, and not because of the group priority…but because of the diametric opposition of those within the group on the really small micro scale….in other words, everybody in the group is on a different part of the group’s bell curve…let’s simplify…remember this part, OK?….in a collective, individuality is in the back seat, while the collective itself drives….right? yet if everybody in the back seat has a different way of driving, directional skills, methods of getting from point A to point X….and exactly what they define point A and X to be, somebody or some group of bodies is going to decide the driving habits of the collective….now a box within a box within a box….yabitty…yabitty…yabitty… So, the collective now is no longer about the collective, rather about the individuals guiding and directing the collective…sort of individualism directing collectivism….sound vaguely familiar…
Here’s my solution and I’ll start with a 2 questions first…here they are…
If tomorrow you woke and you were doing exactly what you wanted to be doing, you know that ikegai, that passion that we all have for something and long to live, (here it is) what would you be doing?…..and what are you currently doing to get there?….if you can’t answer the first question….you can’t answer the 2nd question either….So before you join a collective, you think you kind of believe in most of the time, answer these 2 questions….then start the process of living that life….
Here are 10 readily accepted scenarios in the world we live in…we should think hard about changing these…..
- WE PRIORITIZE MONEY AND THE ECONOMY OVER BASICS LIKE AIR, WATER, FOOD QUALITY, OUR ENVIRONMENT, AND OUR COMMUNITIES.
- WE UTILIZE AN ECONOMIC TRADING SYSTEM THAT FACILITATES THE DEATH OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE EACH YEAR.
- WE DIVIDE THE WORLD’S LAND INTO SECTIONS AND THEN FIGHT OVER WHO OWNS THESE SECTIONS.
- WE CALL SOME PEOPLE “SOLDIERS” WHICH MAKES IT OK FOR THEM TO KILL OTHER PEOPLE.
- WE TORTURE AND KILL MILLIONS OF ANIMALS EVERY DAY NEEDLESSLY FOR FOOD, CLOTHING, AND EXPERIMENTS.
- WE SEND CHILDREN TO SCHOOL FOR THEIR ENTIRE CHILDHOOD TO MEMORIZE FACTS AND SKILLS THAT THEY WILL RARELY USE.
- WE IMPOSE FINANCIAL PRESSURES ON PARENTS, FORCING THEM TO MISS OUT ON VITAL STAGES OF THEIR CHILD’S DEVELOPMENT.
- WE HAVE THOUSANDS OF RELIGIONS, EACH ONE BELIEVING THAT THEIR GOD OR GOD-STORY IS THE ONLY TRUE AND UNIQUE VERSION.
- LOVE AND COMPASSION, WHICH PROMOTE LIFE, ARE MOCKED AS FACILE. WHEREAS WAR, WHICH HARMS LIFE, IS SEEN AS HONORABLE.
- ANYONE WITH A REALLY USEFUL INVENTION CAN FORCEFULLY PREVENT OTHERS FROM USING OR MODIFYING IT.
I think we each have to work on changing ourselves first…plant tomatoes, raise some bees…take longer walks…have less stuff…write more…talk less…read more…teach more….learn more…maybe your neighbor might see that and do the same…and their neighbors might see them doing than and their neighbors, neighbors might see….and then that world of shit just might not be that bad….if its compost….
“You are only as strong as the liquor you drink, the tables you dance on and the of friends that hold you together”