“Uova Della Via”, ©2011 Robert Redus
“We are not retreating – we are advancing in another direction.” – Douglas Macarthur
so I’m working on paintings for a solo show….November 18th at Ralph Greene Gallery… in Albuquerque…this particular endeavor I have to say I never thought about before…never even crossed my mind…until about 2 months ago…and it all started because I began making small paintings on paper….every day…
what has transpired since March has really been quite phenomenal…as I have noticed a few things take place and it’s only because of painting everyday…that I even took notice…
- the evolution of the work and how quickly the mindset changes
- small events on previous paintings are significant and instrumental in future changes
- these same events become very exaggerated later and tend to become new ways of approaching painting and applying paint
- I’m noticing the smaller nuances are also the thread that ties each painting to the previous and to the next
- the “shift” becomes very obvious
- I don’t think I’m going to stop making small paintings on paper everyday…anytime soon
this painting process has been a very clarifying…stabilizing experience…I’m some 300+ paintings into it while my goal for the show in November is between 700-1000…small paintings on paper…
I no longer look at this as an endeavor with an end…nor do I focus on it as if it is something unique…or exceptional…rather I’m getting that it is for me comparable to breathing…and the action of inhaling/exhaling is no longer a conscious process…just something that happens everyday….
here are a few paintings….
“Somewhere there is a map of how it can be done.” – Ben Stein